Summary of Orchids! A Diamond Celebration Part II.
This year our Annual October Show was held at the Trinidad Country Club. It was a new venue for our show and proved to be well suited. The show was opened by Mrs. Hassanali, the former First Lady of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago. The Prime Minister of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago made a special appearance on the Saturday morning of the show.
This year we were very fortunate to have Claude Hamilton of Hamlyn's Orchids from Jamaica. He gave three very informative lectures on the days of the show and a very nice variety of plants on sale.
Our local vendors and exhibitors showed their worth as everyone gave an extra effort to ensure the display area of the hall was filled with beautiful orchids. Some of our members gave of their time for all days of the show assisting at the gate or even helping the general public around. The management committee will likely to specially thank each of everyone who contributed to the success of the show with a special thank you to Antonio de Gannes, Christopher Watson and Judith Davis.
Angie Forde won the Members' Choice for September with her beautifully flowered Renanthera Kalsom X Ascda. Varut Fushia. She purchased the Vanda a little under one year ago and this was the first time flowering since. She waters all of her Vandas twice per day and feeds them every one to two weeks. This was a truly rewarding flower.
Annual Christmas Lunch.
Our annual Christmas Lunch will be held on December 11th at the Headquarters of the Horticulture Society, Lady Chancellor Road. Cost of tickets are $150. each. Tickets will be available at the November Monthly meeting.
At the lunch, trophies will be distributed to winners from the October Show.
Seedling Growing Competition.
The following are the rules for the competition:
1) Only financial members of the TTOS are permitted to participate throughout the competition.
2) Each entrant is allowed only one seedling orchid.
3) Eligibility to the competition is validated by purchasing the seedling orchid from the society and receiving a receipt.
4) The name of the orchid seedling plant will be withheld until the winners are declared
5) To claim prize, plants have to be presented at a regular monthly meeting of the TTOS and accompanied with the proof of purchase. Winners are required to make a presentation on how they grew the plants.
6) Two prizes will be awarded as follows
a. First fully flowered plant (no buds)
b. Plant with the most opened flowers by the following TTOS monthly meeting from the declaration of the first flowered plant.
7) In the event there is more than one winner the prize will be shared equally
8) The adjudicated results are final
9) Members of management will not be eligible to claim prizes but can participate
10) Cost of entering is $25.00